We are looking for the 3rd party access management product, one of the requirements is STS support. Here is the procedure how to create a test STS client:
- Download WIF runtime and the WIF SDK – http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/dd440951.aspx
- Create a new MVC Project in VS 2010
- On the project right-click, select “Add STS reference” and follow the same wizard steps as the WebForms application. (to add the WIF information to web.config file.)
- Set the app pool to be able to load user profile in advanced settings panel.
- Create self-signed SSL, make certificate accessable by app pool, as descirbed in https://identity.thinktecture.com/download/startersts/v1/StarterSTS_InitialSetup.wmv
- DO NOT use “Add deployable dependencies” on MVC project when deploying webapp, otherwise the deployed webapp will be redirected back to /account/login from STS.
After tested with the local STS, we tried to switch to StarterSTS – http://startersts.codeplex.com/ as the 2nd test STS, then we can’t figured out how to add the customized claim type into user profiles, claim type format like “http://schemas.myorg.ca/2011/10/OrganizationId”. Even though, the tutorial from startersts is still great helpful, http://identity.thinktecture.com/download/starterSTS/v1/StarterSTS_FederatingWebApps.wmv
Other useful tools like STSFederationMetadataEditor can be used to edit the WS-Federation of the STS on the fly.